Thanks, Shawn.

We strive to be sure that the underlying dependencies of SolrJ are all the
correct versions.  So my question revolved more around any known
dependencies between SolrJ and specific Solr API elements.  We understand
that Solr Cloud moves quickly and we try to keep up by updating SolrJ.  It
would be good to know that efforts were being made to assure backwards
compatibility so that a newer Solr Cloud would at least work properly
against an older Solr instance.

If that cannot be assured, then it seems to me like the current
architecture needs revision in some way.  Clients really aren't able to
re-release code on the same schedule as Lucene, and cannot be expected to
support multiple SolrJ libraries simultaneously.

Karl