Solrj 4.x will not work with collections created from Solr 5.0 but
otherwise I am not aware of any incompatibility between 4.x and 5. There
was a compat break in Solrj during 4.8 I think but it was due to a bug. The
standard advise on upgrading is to upgrade the client first and then the
server. Solrj 5.0 will work fine with Solr 4.x.