+1 for git, great for working on multiple things at once.

Side note: git-svn is also not great btw for the kind of merging we need to
do with every commit, it kind of works but with too many caveats.

On the note that git clone is slow, sure, because it fetches a fair amount
of history which svn doesn't. But to compare just them is unfair, since
checkout and clone are not identical. If you want to compare times, you
will also have to add up every log, diff, or annotate you do on the tree
during your development (of which I certainly do a lot and I am sure others
do as well), and git will certainly win if you include all those because it
does no network lookup. Clone and checkout are typically one time
operations, why should their speed be a concern in any case?
I know this has come up a few times in the past but I wanted to bring this
up again.

The lucene-solr ASF git mirror has been behind by about a day. I was
speaking with the infra people and they say that the size of the repo needs
more and more ram. Forcing a sync causes a fork-bomb:

Can't fork: Cannot allocate memory at /usr/share/perl5/Git.pm line 1517.

They tried a few things but it's almost certain that it needs even more
RAM, which still is a band-aid as they'd soon need even more RAM. Also,
adding RAM involves downtime for git.a.o which needs to be planned. As a
stop gap arrangement attached a volume to the instance and are using it as
swap to work around the "adding RAM requires restart" issue.

FAQ: How would the memory requirement change if we moved to git instead of
mirroring?
Answer: svn -> git mirroring is a weird process and has quite the memory
leak. Using git directly is much cleaner.

I personally think git does make things easier to manage when you're
working on multiple overlapping things and so we should re-evaluate moving
to it. I would have been fine had the mirroring worked, as all I want is a
way to be able to work on multiple (local) branches without having to
create and maintain directories like: lucene-solr-trunk1,
lucene-solr-trunk2, or SOLR-XXXX, etc.

Opinions?

--
Anshum Gupta