Personally, clone for me is 'rare', I did it once years back, and have
never done it since. log, diff and others I do on a daily basis. Same with
svn as well actually, you checkout just once usually..

I think the previous discussion had the agreement that this issue should
focus on committers rather than contributors. And committers by definition
aren't getting started with Solr. If you want to make things more flexible
and faster for contributors, sure, github mirror provides an svn facade
which allows you to check out a subversion wc from it's repos for
read/write (write's not that useful for us though since github is not the
primary repo).