I would suggest that a DistributedRequestUpdateHandler run
single-threaded, doing only one document at a time. If I want more
than one, I run it twice or N times with my own program.

Also, this should have a policy object which decides exactly how
documents are distributed. There are different techniques for
different use cases.

Lance

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Soheb Mahmood <soheb.luc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Yonik,
>
> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 08:01 -0500, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>> Making it easy for clients I think is key... one should be able to
>> update any node in the solr cluster and have solr take care of the
>> hard part about updating all relevant shards.  This will most likely
>> involve an update processor.  This approach allows all existing update
>> methods (including things like CSV file upload) to still work
>> correctly.
>>
>> Also post.jar is really just for testing... a command-line replacement
>> for "curl" for those who may not have it.  It's not really a
>> recommended way for updating Solr servers in production.
>
> OK, I've abandoned the post.jar tool idea in favour of a
> DistributedUpdateRequestProcessor class (I've been looking into other
> classes like UpdateRequestProcessor, RunUpdateRequestProcessor,
> SignatureUpdateProcessorFactory, and SolrQueryRequest to see how they
> are used/what data they store - hence why I've taken some time to
> respond).
>
> My big question now is that is it necessary to have a Factory class for
> DistributedUpdateRequestProcessor? I've seen this lots of times, as in
> RunUpdateProcessorFactory (where the factory class was only a few lines
> of code) to SignatureUpdateProcessorFactory? At first I was thinking it
> would be a good design idea to include it in (in a generic sense), but
> then I thought harder and I thought that the
> DistributedUpdateRequestHander would only be running once, taking in all
> the requests, so it seems sort of pointless to write one in.
>
> That is my "burning" question for now. I have got a few more questions,
> but I'm sure that when I look further into the code, I'll either have
> more or all of my questions are answered.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Soheb Mahmood

Lance Norskog
goks...@gmail.com