On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This should block the release: if IndexWriterConfig is a broken design
> then we need to revert this now before its released, not make users
> switch over and then undeprecate/revert in a future release.

+1

I think we have to sort this out, one way or another, before releasing 3.1.

I really don't like splitting setters across IWC vs IW.  That'll just
cause confusion, and noise over time as we change our minds about
where things belong.

Looking through IWC, it seems that most setters can be done "live".
In fact, setRAMBufferSizeMB is *almost* live: all places in IW that
use this pull it from the config, except for DocumentsWriter.  We
could just push the config down to DW and have it pull live too...

Other settings are not pulled live but for no good reason, eg
termsIndexInterval is copied to a private field in IW but could just
as easily be pulled when it's time to write a new segment...

Maybe we should simply document which settings are live vs only take
effect at init time?

Mike

--
Mike