Thanks for sharing this! - I tested it by sending a few mails and indeed it
works! - GMAIL threads detection seems to ignore the text within the
brackets. I wonder if such a change can be applied per project, or must be
applied for all projects.
Just opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-3528 for this - if
you would like such a change please vote for it...

Doron