>> Another key example would be inline highlighting:
>>
>> &id,_hl:title_,body
>
> If we're going to come up with another syntax, it needs to be fully fleshed
> out.
> This one already looks ambiguous in the context of "fl".
>
> For example, does that mean give me "id","title highlighted","body"
> or does it mean "id","title and body highlighted"?

To get title and body highlighted, you would have:
&fl=id,_hl:title_,_hl:body_

In general, an fl value that starts and ends with _ tries to call a transformer.

Are you thinking of something else?

For highlighting we *could* use all existing parameters, but that
leavs a lot of ambiguity -- how would I get title highlighted and not
highlighted?  In this syntax, it would be:

fl=id,title,_hl:title_