: I don't see the reason why "exampledocs" should contain docs with narrow
charsets not guaranteed to be supported.
: In my opinion this file belongs in the test suite, also since it only
contains "test" content, unsuitable for demoing.

it's purpose for being there is to let *users* "test" if their servlet
container + solr conbination is working with alternate encodings -- much
the same reason utf8-example.xml and test_utf8.sh are included in
exampledocs.

It's a perfectly valid exampledoc for Solr.  it may not work on all
platforms, but the *.sh files aren't garunteed to work on all platforms
either.  if we moved it to hte test directory, end users fetching binary
releases wouldn't get it. and may not be aware that their servlet
container isn't supporting thta charset.

personally i would like to see us add a lot more exampledocs in a lot more
esoteric encodings, precisely to help end users sanity test this sort of
thing.  we frequetnly get questions form people about character encoding
wonkiness, and things like test_utf8.sh, utf8-example.xml, and now
gb18030-example.xml can help us narrow down the problem: their
client code, their servlet container, or solr?

-Hoss