On Apr 3, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> In the days of sub-projects, I would have proposed that option, but
> now I see two options:
>
> A.  Work on spatial lucene outside of apache -- perhaps osgeo or even
> just github. (would need a different name)
> B.  Allow JTS compile-time dependency in lucene, and move spatial
> contrib to a real module

What about C:  Spatial in Lucene/Solr w/ JTS component in Apache Extras as a
drop in jar that implements the appropriate bindings?  I personally have an
interest in good spatial in L/S including more than just point search.  This
solution need not require any automated downloads/compiles, etc. and it can be
noted that the support of that particular jar is handled on Apache Extras (or
Githup or wherever)

Alternatively, has anyone simply asked JTS if they would dual license or
something like that?  I'm happy to do that, but let's coordinate so that we
aren't all bombarding the guy.

> I think option A is better long term, but I feel like the kid saying
> "if I can't have my way I'll take my ball (code) and go home"  -- i
> don't want this to sound like an ultimatum, but an honest discussion
> about what has the best chance of fostering a thriving development
> community.

I personally don't.  I think we have enough committers who are active on
spatial that we can sustain it once we have a good foundation in place (which
we are close to) and we also have several contributors who have been active on
spatial and are likely good candidates for being committers to work on it.