> Grant, since you too have an interest in spatial, you too could be a
> developer on lucene-spatial-playground (I look forward to a better name).
> Just because there are folks interested in spatial involved with Lucene/Solr
> does not mean that the module needs to actually be in the Lucene/Solr's
> codebase itself.  I think geospatial is both fairly specialized and also only
> desired by a fraction of Lucene/Solr users, particularly beyond the basic
> essentials satisfied with a pair of trie doubles (LatLonPoint) and a distance
> functionquery.  If you consider that, then why would it be in Lucene/Solr?

my aspirations may be high, but I think spatial+lucene/solr can be a
platform to rival PostGIS -- or at the very least good option when you
need good text+spatial search.  (PostGIS and oracle spatial are the
only options now)

Some key features that would get lots of attention from geo devlopers are:
 * native CS-W support from solr.  This is super important for GIS
catalogs.  Actually now required by law in the EU!
 * native GeoRSS and opensearch geo from solr
 * lucene/solr as a geotools data source -- this opens up a huge range
of off-the-shelf processing

The people who care about these problems and the build system and
dependencies to support them are pretty distinct from lucene core.

ryan