Thanks for taking time for looking at these options Casandra. I specially
agree with the third of the painful points you mentioned, the fact that we
can't maintain online documentation for different versions. I like that we
have a released PDF version for every minor version, but 99.9% of the time
I'm online and I just want to go to the online version and browse the HTML
docs, it's a pain that I can't just choose my version there.
I also agree 100% with Doug's point, that we should make sure that links to
the current documentation pages are correctly forwarded to the new docs.
Accepting pull requests would also be nice, many of the comments in
Confluence are "there is a typo in…" or "X section is missing parameter Y",
I bet many of those comments will become PRs if we offered the option
(don't know if this can be handled without Jira)

About branching and merging, we currently write docs for the next version
(minor usually), very few things are written for master only, and they
currently live in a separate Confluence area that's not released. One
option would be keep doing this, which will prevent many merges (at the
cost of making it more difficult to release docs for new major versions).

in general, +1 for the idea.

Tomás