On Apr 26, 2011, at 10:07 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It appears there are some problems with modularization of the code,
> especially between lucene and solr, so I would like for us to have a
> discussion on this thread.

+1

> The two sides/takes seem to be (with some example reasons):
> 1. pro: for example, modularization can expose features that were
> traditionally in solr to lucene users.

Some other Pros:
Easier to test individual pieces.  Easier to benchmark.
More usage == more/better features/functionality for everyone.
Easier for people to contribute to without having to know the full stack.
I think most people agree that decoupled, reusable modules are a good thing in
general as an abstract concept, but, of course, specifics matter.

> 2. con: for example, modularization slows development of these
> features and they will evolve slower if they are in lucene.

I think this needs a bit more explanation.  AIUI, the primary cause for concern
is that by making something a module, you are taking a private, internal API of
Solr's and now making it a public API that must be maintained (and backwards
maintained) which could slow down development as one now needs to be concerned
with more factors than you would if it were merely an implementation detail in
Solr.

Other Cons:
The concern was that Solr just becomes an uninteresting, empty shell that glues
together modules. (I don't agree, but wanted to present what I have heard)