> if its not stated as "this feature is going to Lucene"

It seems as though some people assume that since Lucene is a library, and Solr
is an application, that exposing Solr API *means* making it part of Lucene.  It
ain't necessarily so, and it need not be a point of contention.

I want to reiterate my opinion (voiced pre-merge) that there be a third entity
here besides Solr and Lucene.

E.g., if "modules/" became "thirdentity/", with its own org.apache.thirdentity
namespace, wouldn't questions of ownership/control mostly go away?

Steve