Big +1 to this statement:

***********
To me, the most urgent aspect of the problem is that Bugs are not
getting verified and fixed as soon as possible, and non-committers
(particularly) who take the time to create a patch for an improvement
are not seeing their efforts acknowledged, let alone reviewed or
committed
************

This hits the nail on the head IMO. I wonder how many potential
committers we've lost through inaction? Yonik's line about "you
get to be a committer by acting like a committer" comes to mind.
We have people "acting like committers" by submitting
patches and the like then don't get back to them.

Of course we all have our day jobs, limited time and at least
some of us have these things called "lives".

I'm not sure how to resolve the issue either. It can take
significant time to even look at a patch and give any reasonable
feedback....

I'm glad for the conversation too, just wish I had a magic cure.

Erick