As a rule, everything should go through JIRA on its way to svn -- this
is important so that we have somewhere to point for why we did things.
 Even small things.

With patches from contributors it is especially important they are
added to JIRA because they need to grant the license to ASF.  Also
attachments are often stripped from mailing list archives, so down the
road its really hard to know what happened.

I understand the desire to keep maven support low key -- but we should
do that with a good README in dev-tools.  Even as officially
non-official tools, it still gets into svn so we need a trail of where
it came from and hopefully a log of why we thought it was important.

ryan