On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Uwe Schindler <u...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>> Sorry to be negative,
>>
>>> - BulkPostings (my +1 since I want to enable positional scoring on all
>>> queries)
>>
>> My problem is the really crappy and unusable API of BulkPostings (wait for
>> my talk at Lucene Rev...). For anybody else than Mike, Yonik and yourself
>> that’s unusable. I tried to understand even the simple
>> MultiTermQueryWrapperFilter - easy on trunk, horrible on branch - sorry
>> that’s a no-go.
>>
>> Its code duplication everywhere and unreadable.
>>

> I don't think you should apologize for being negative, its true there
> is a ton of work to do here before that branch is "ready". Thats why
> in my email I tried to brainstorm some alternative ways we could get
> some of these features into the hands of users without being held up
> by this work.

I have to admit that branch is very rough and the API is super hard to
use. For now!
Lets not be dragged away into discussion how this API should look like
there will be time
for that. I agree with robert that I see a large amount of work left
on that branch though so maybe
we should move the positional scoring (LUCENE-2878) over to trunk as
another option.

I think we should not wait much longer with Lucene 4.0 so I lean
towards Roberts option 2 even if we need to pay the price
for a major change in 5.0. I am not sure if we really need to change
much API for Realtime Search since this should be hidden in IW,
IndexingChain and IW#getReader() - I kind of like the idea to be close
to 4.0 :)

simon