We anyway seem to mark every new API as @lucene.experimental these days, so
we shouldn't have too much problem when 4.0 is out :).

Experimental API is subject to change at any time. We can consider that as
an option as well (maybe it adds another option to Robert's?).

Though personally, I'm not a big fan of this notion - I think we deceive
ourselves and users when we have @experimental on a "stable" branch. Any
@experimental API on trunk today falls into this bucket after 4.0 is out.
And I'm sure there are a couple in 3.x already.

Don't get me wrong - I don't suggest we should stop using it. But I think we
should consider to review the @experimental API before every "stable"
release, and reduce it over time, not increase it.

Shai