We could compile under 1.6 and have a jenkins (ant) target to check
binary 1.5 compatibility -- bytecode versions and std. API calls. This
way we could use 1.6, @Override annotations, etc. and still ensure 1.5
support for folks that need it.

So... this is technically doable (read: I'm doing it in HPPC and other
projects), but requires some trickery with the build process. If there
are no -1's on it, I can provide a patch.

Dawid