: We could compile under 1.6 and have a jenkins (ant) target to check
: binary 1.5 compatibility -- bytecode versions and std. API calls. This
: way we could use 1.6, @Override annotations, etc. and still ensure 1.5
: support for folks that need it.

-0 ... wouldn't that mean that users running *actual* 1.5 JVM installs
couldn't compile from source?  I think it would be a bad idea to say that
our "compile" JVM requirements are differnet then our "run" JVM
requirements.  I'd be more in favor of requireing 1.6 then having a weird
build where 1.5 folks could use our binary releases but not compile
themselves.

As far as your original question...

: >> javadoc parsing enabled). Can I propose that we add an aggregator
: >> target that will aggregate checks happening on jenkins (is there one
: >> already)? I'm thinking of a dummy target like:

lucene/build.xml has a target called "nightly" but it's not actually used
directly.  The number of things hudson does has gotten kind of complicated...

        http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/nightly/

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/nightly/hudson-lucene-trunk.sh

...multiple invocations of ant are run, and some things are checked for
in the shell script. (ie: nocommit).

But as is the "nightly" target should be a superset of all the ant targets
that hudson does run (nightly) so it's still useable (although it would
be nice to move that nocommit test into it).

: >> <target name="commit-check" depends="clean, test, javadocs" />

we could update the "nightly" target to include "clean" ... but i don't
know that that's really a good idea.

-Hoss