On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_luc...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : you just commit it to the version it was added.
> :
> : For example, if you are adding something to 3x and trunk, commit it to
> : the 3x section of trunk's CHANGES.txt
> : then when you svn merge, there will be no merge conflict, it will just work.
>
> That assumes you know, before commiting to trunk, that it will (or wont)
> be backported to 3x.
>
> The approach (and the cleanness of the merges) completley breaks down if
> you start out assuming a feature is targetting 4x, and then later decide
> to backport it.

you just first move your change to the 3.x section?

> it will also break down in even more fun and confusing ways if/when we
> have our first 4.0 release and then someone pushes for having a 3.42
> feature release after that (to push out some high value features to people
> not yet ready to upgrade to 4.0) because the changes legitimately need to
> show up in both the 3.42 and 4.1 release notes.

we already raised this issue and decided against it for a number of
reasons, it was raised on the dev list and everyone voted +1

http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/a42f9a22fe39c4b4/discussion_trunk_and_stable_release_strategy#67815ec25c055810