I think the delayed deletes might have to do w/ segment warming?

I.e., after a merge finishes, but before IW exposes that segment in the
current SIS, it's merged, at which point (via the merged segment warmer the
test installs) we build its parallel index, but then I think (maybe!) its
parallel reader is closed?  But we don't want to rm its index directory,
because on the next NRT refresh the merged segment becomes live and we will
open that parallel index.  This ensures that it's the BG merge thread that
pays the cost to build the parallel index, not the NRT reopen thread,
keeping NRT reopen latency low (ish).

I am glad you're finding a use for this crazy class!  I think it is a
powerful way for Lucene to efficiently add "derived fields" at search
time.  Can you share any details on how you are using it?
And how did you find this test :)

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com