> I use git for many projects and most of them don't require that, so it
> leaves me at a bit of a disadvantage.

Not really. It puts you in a hazardous position to have a source
control system that changes file for you without letting you know. I
am
a Windows user as well. I learnt about this "feature" the hard way a
few times when git messed up text files that it shouldn't have touched
(they were signed, were processed by tools not comfortable with
Windows line endings, were in ascii range, but not text files... lots
of different scenarios).

You're making your life harder if you allow git to modify your
checkout files. Once you spend a few hours trying to figure out why
something is not working as expected (as in this case when signatures
are no longer matching -- which they should not), you start to
appreciate having an identical checkout as everyone else.

Dawid