I think it's important Lucene keeps good performance on "ordinary"
machines/envs.

It's really quite dangerous that the active Lucene devs all use beasts
for development/testing.  We draw false conclusions.

So we really should be testing with -client and if indeed generified
Arrays.copyOf (and anything else) is risky in such envs we should not
use it when System.arraycopy works more consistently.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com