On 7/17/2018 3:35 AM, Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) wrote:
Thanks Dawid, I agree it is a massive job, I was curious to know if there is interest and we can put together a group of people interested in doing the job.

If that work gives us a build system that is easier for everyone to understand and change, it would be worth pursuing.  If it doesn't make things easier, then I don't think we should change it.  Dependency management is only a small part of what the build system does.

I have no particular attachment to ant/ivy.  The current build system does work, and it would be important that any new build system be tortured to make sure it's more robustthan the ant/ivy build.

It would indeed be a big job.  If you tackle it, I would suggest setting it up so it exists in parallel with the ant build system for at least all of 8.x.  In the interests of stability, I don't think the work should affect branch_7x.

I really think that any significant work on the build system, whether we switch systems or not, should involve some detailed design and howto documentation, probably on the project wikis.

Thanks,
Shawn