Thanks David,
That would be super duper great!

<Regex1><LEV><Regex2>...

the trick with "smart skipping" terms enum is not changing with
automaton construction? These two steps are independent... if you
build infinite Automaton like REgex(".*"), your problem :)

This cannot be better at the moment.  One day, TermDict will become
automaton as well... but for now we live with this brilliant idea to
"use sorted list of terms as other automaton for matching" . But even
than, REgex(".*") should match everything :)

My proposal is about performance and flexibility
Compare simple use case:

in order to support transposition in the first two characters like in
my example, you would need Lev. Automaton that has maxDistance 2, so
it would waste time to scan *much much more* than needed for given
constraint. It does not matter if you match against "sorted list" or
another automaton.

Alternative would be to run two fuzzy enums with Lev automata with
maxDistance = 1.  and filter them out on prefix later. But these are
two separate "term enum scans"

With concatenation, "composite automaton" would scan prefix part like
normal finite regex prefixes (fast!) and the rest with Lev. automaton
with maxDistance 1, using whatever is at the moment possible (sorted
list, or another automation like mikes FST TermDictionary)

Another example would be to add some phonetic variations here and there...

"CARIN"   <Regex("C|K")><Lev("ARIN")>

Point being, this enables us to restrict search space of Lev automaton
significantly (which is normally huge as simple transposition needs
minDistance 2 ...) to achieve what we want. (e.g. most of CARIN
matches with LEV(2) are mostly nonsense)

one could also restrict suffixes easily, with supported intersection,
one could do other wild things...

I'll definitely have to look at this "scary" code as Mike indicated in his blog

Cheers, eks