Re:
>For the regexp syntax you discuss, you can actually already do this.
>This is one reason why RegexpQuery has a constructor that takes

I did not try to suggest new syntax, it was just an attempt to describe the
question :) This sugar part later is easy...

Lucene went really long way! I follow it more or less intensively since times
where everybody asked  "what does the name Lucene mean?". This was loooong time
ago, where the project had one member, Doug. In meantime many projects came and
went, but Lucene progressed. This mind blowing additions on trunk expected in
4.0 are more than clear indicator of health.

Lucene-core team that made all these goodies has enormous human qualities, and
without doubt, unprecedented professional. But the first ones make a team more
than a group of individuals. Yeah, Lucene rocks, as long as chaps of that sort
stick around.

 I just wanted to say,... thank you!

Cheers, Eks.