> org.asciidoctor:asciidoctorj=1.6.0-alpha.5
>
> with
>
> org.asciidoctor:asciidoctor-ant=1.6.2
> org.asciidoctor:asciidoctorj=1.6.2

You don't need to add asciidoctor-ant - it isn't used anywhere as an
explicit dependency.

> If I remove one or both, and try “gw jarChecksums” Bad Things Happen.

If you remove the "org.asciidoctor:asciidoctorj" then indeed the
dependency in solr-ref-guide/build.gradle won't be resolvable -- this
one:

    tools('org.asciidoctor:asciidoctorj')

the other line is not required. I checked gw jarChecksums and
everything works fine.

> Whether that’s because I have something polluted in my env is an open
> question.

Maybe. That's why I asked for the debug log.

Jar checksums work for Lucene for me now.

.\gradlew -p lucene checkLicenses --rerun-tasks

although the content of those folders differs for gradle and ant
(gradle has morfologik-fsa-2.1.6.jar.sha1 while ant has
morfologik-fsa-2.1.5.jar.sha1, for example).

Jar checksums for Solr don't work:

.\gradlew -p solr checkLicenses --rerun-tasks

this is because

1) the task that resolves them in gradle collects dependencies from
all configurations, regardless of whether they're used internally at
build time or truly exported at runtime. In ant we don't have (or
verify) all of these JARs. I don't know if we must (or should). An
example is the jruby dependency used for compiling the refguide. We
could add sha files, licenses, etc. to all of these but it'll be a
pain to upgrade anything after that:

Scanned 321 JAR file(s) for licenses (in 1.09s.), 129 error(s).

2) some exclusions of transitive dependencies would be required in the
gradle build to match ant's configs.

Dawid