On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:41 AM Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com> wrote:

As it is today, deveopers have had to do necessary Solr changes at the same
> time when doing changes in Lucene. This is not really fair to the (mainly)
> Lucene developers. It is not fair to Solr either, as such work might be
> done in a hasty fashion and/or in a sub optimal way due to lack of
> familiarity with Solr code base; like we unfortunately have seen a couple
> of times in the past (not trying to blame anyone). With Lucene as a
> dependency, Solr can choose to stay on same Lucene version for a couple of
> releases while taking the time to work out the proper way to adapt to
> changed Lucene APIs or to sort out performance issues.

+1, that is a great point, Jan.

This will mean that the (any) necessary Solr source code changes that go
along with a Lucene change will (sometimes) be done with higher quality,
more thought, better expertise, etc., which I agree will be good for
ongoing Solr development, help prevent accidental performance regressions,
etc.  Net/net that's a big positive for Solr, in addition to having a
stronger independent identity (https://solr.apache.org).

> Question: When Lucene no longer has the Solr test suite to help catch
> bugs, how long time would it take from a Lucene commit, before Solr/ES
> Jenkins instances would have had time to produce a build and run tests?
> Would it be possible to setup a trigger in Solr Jenkins?

That's a great question!

Maybe Elasticsearch developers could chime in, since this already happened
for them many times by now :)  I would think there are technical solutions
to let the Solr CI build pull the latest Lucene snapshot build, to keep the
latency lowish, but I do not know the details.

Mike