Hi,

The biggest issue is that split packages make migrating to the Java 9 module
system impossible. It's not allowed to have same package name (with classes) in
different JAR files.

Some of those require to open up visibility of classes. Some split packages
issues were done because of package private access, which is very bad between
JAR files. This also affects the test framework, although this is not such a
big deal (I would exclude that for now), because you would never run UNIT tests
inside a module system, only integration tests.

So a strong +1 to clean this up!
Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler