From: dev@lucene.apache.org At: 09/03/20 15:46:52To:  dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Migrate Solr helm chart into apache/lucene-solr repo

The CouchDB example is a good one -- it is not a part of the core repository.

It might be a wide audience, but I would start a discussion at
committ...@apache.org for this.

Atri

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 8:05 PM LEE Ween Jiann
<wjlee.2...@phdcs.smu.edu.sg> wrote:

> No, where and who would be the right place and person to get this discussion
going?

> Some charts have already begun moving like
https://github.com/apache/couchdb-helm, whereas others like Airflow, Hadoop,
Spark, etc. (+ others that I might have missed) have yet to move.

> Other than that, I think zookeeper is being maintained by Bitnami.
>

> From: Atri Sharma <a...@apache.org>
> Reply to: "dev@lucene.apache.org" <dev@lucene.apache.org>
> Date: Thursday, 3 September 2020 at 10:17 PM
> To: "dev@lucene.apache.org" <dev@lucene.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Migrate Solr helm chart into apache/lucene-solr repo
>

> Is this a consensus between all the Apache projects? Is there a discussion
going on?

> On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 at 19:43, LEE Ween Jiann <wjlee.2...@phdcs.smu.edu.sg>
wrote:

> The ideal case would be to have Apache/charts with all the helm charts that
are orphaned.

> If not I guess, we will just wait and see if anyone picks up those charts.

> From: Atri Sharma <a...@apache.org>
>

> Reply to: "dev@lucene.apache.org" <dev@lucene.apache.org>
>

> Date: Thursday, 3 September 2020 at 10:08 PM
>

> To: "dev@lucene.apache.org" <dev@lucene.apache.org>
>

> Subject: Re: Migrate Solr helm chart into apache/lucene-solr repo

> I still don’t see this as a reason to add it to the main repo. Maybe create a
new repo just for this helm chart?

> Anyways, as David said, the third party plug-in repository will be perfect
for this.

> On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 at 19:36, LEE Ween Jiann <wjlee.2...@phdcs.smu.edu.sg>
wrote:

> Hey there,

> The thing is there will **not** be repository after Nov 13.
>

> Please refer to this link which was previously posted,
>

> https://github.com/helm/charts/blob/master/README.md#deprecation-timeline

> Cheers,
>

> WJ

> Atri Sharma <a...@apache.org>
>

> Reply to: "dev@lucene.apache.org" <dev@lucene.apache.org>
>

> Date: Thursday, 3 September 2020 at 10:02 PM
>

> To: "dev@lucene.apache.org" <dev@lucene.apache.org>
>

> Subject: Re: Migrate Solr helm chart into apache/lucene-solr repo

> Jumping in late, but I don’t see why the help chart needs to be a part of the
core repository.

> Like the HDFS repository, why not just add a link to the existing repository
somewhere on the main website?

> On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 at 19:29, LEE Ween Jiann <wjlee.2...@phdcs.smu.edu.sg>
wrote:

> Hi both,

> Is there any updates on this? The helm stable chart repo is now deprecated,
could we move the helm chart to the apache GitHub repo?

> Cheers,

> WJ

> David Smiley <david.w.smi...@gmail.com>

> Reply to: "dev@lucene.apache.org" <dev@lucene.apache.org>

> Date: Monday, 3 February 2020 at 1:07 AM

> To: Solr/Lucene Dev <dev@lucene.apache.org>

> Subject: Re: Migrate Solr helm chart into apache/lucene-solr repo

> I was looking for a "Why" Helm is ending its registry and didn't find it,
though I did find the 2x vs 3x thing so I thought it was about version
migration more than anything.  I'm wondering

> "Why" because this very project, Solr, will soon

> be grappling with how to create a repository of 3rd party plugins.
Successful projects like Docker do this so I wonder why Helm seems to be
backing out.  Perhaps we will have one main repository of 3rd party plugins
we've vetted in some way (have high confidence

> in) and then for others we simply list URLs to "known" repos of packages of
plugins that we have no opinion of.  This is uncharted territory for us.
Unlike Helm & Docker, I don't expect a vast number of entries.

> ~ David Smiley

> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

> On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 5:52 PM Marcus Eagan <marcusea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> David, I think he is referring to the note here:

> https://github.com/helm/charts/blob/master/README.md#deprecation-timeline

> All the best,

> Marcus

> On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 14:37 David Smiley <david.w.smi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Lee,

> We're currently in-process of adopting Solr's Docker image.  I confess I've
never used Helm so I have no clue how it's maintained, tested, etc and so I'll
leave this sort of decision

> to others here.

> BTW I went to that link about Helm deprecation and AFAICT it seems about 2.x
version of Helm and not about 3.x.  See

> https://helm.sh/blog/2019-10-22-helm-2150-released/#helm-2-support-plan too.
Am I missing something?

--