I feel that maybe we don't treat it special mentally, but then it
actually is. At least with minimum custom locations configured.

Consider:
1) What is in "server", above "server/solr"
* resources/log4j2.xml (because of magic jetty classpath mechanism)
* logs
* NOT server/solr/configsets (but probably should be to avoid
confusion with recursive core searching algorithm or just people
trying to understand what those directories are)
2) What is in "example/schemaless"
* logs (because of hardcoded magic in bin/solr)
* NOT log4j2.xml, because we simplified it but also lost an ability to customize
3) What is in "example/cloud/node1"
* logs (same magic)

>From other discussions, if you try to reproduce examples outside of
the example directory, they will log to the global log directory and
mess with each other, unless you pass on an individual log directory
location for each bin/solr command.

I am wondering if the example above solr.home should be the place we
try to check for:
1) logging configuration (or override that latest log4 seems to support)
2) logs
3) configsets available to that node
4) maybe solr.in.sh

This would certainly make example setups easy and less magical.

I don't know if this is the right answer. I specifically don't know if
this will mess up cloud setups. But I see a pattern that is
unacknowledged and think that maybe acknowledging would allow us to
have a more general solution that magic in bin/solr. And maybe just in
time for the Solr in Docker final decisions.

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. To make it more interesting, I am also confused about pid files
going into bin directory. I bet docker image puts them somewhere else.