> The only option I see at the moment is to remove the clustering contrib
entirely from 8x because it can't be upgraded.

That makes sense to me.  Maybe it shouldn't be a contrib henceforth?  In
other words, maybe it should be a 3rd-party package?  Then our users could
get updates to this contrib independently of the Lucene/Solr release
cycle.  It's one of the benefits of breaking up the Solr monolith.

In a separate thread in this dev list, pertaining to the DIH, Gézapeti Cseh
suggested that Solr might introduce something similar to "Apache Commons",
but for Solr contribs.  I think that's worth more investigation.  It's
obviously highly relevant to this thread.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley