Hey Martin:

There is a test case in the PR we created on our own fork:
https://github.com/dashbase/lucene-solr/pull/1, which also contains some
example code on how to access in the PR description.

Here is the link to the beginning of the tests:
https://github.com/dashbase/lucene-solr/blob/posting-last-docid/lucene/core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/codecs/lucene84/TestLucene84PostingsFormat.java#L142

I am not sure which version this should be applied to, currently, it was
based on master as of a few days ago. We intend to patch 8.7 for our own
environment.

Any advice or feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you!

-John