That's the process I've been following, so not sure what your point is
David? The release branch didn't get cut last week because there were
a number of JIRAs marked as blockers for 8.10 and we needed clarity
about how to move forward from the committers involved with those
tickets. Also, I don't see the point in requiring an extra backport
even if trivial if we know some features are coming in soon. From
where I sit, any code change that hits 8.x should be releasable
immediately or it shouldn't be committed.

Tim