Hi,

In an effort to prepare Elasticsearch for modularization, we are
investigating and eliminating split packages. The situation has improved
through recent refactoring in Lucene 9.0 [1], but a number of split
packages still remain. This message identifies one such so that it can
be discussed in isolation, with a view to a potential solution either in
Lucene or possibly within Elasticsearch itself.

Elasticsearch has a query parser, `QueryStringQueryParser`[2], that
builds queries based on mapping information. This parser has a need to
override its superclass's
`org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.QueryParserBase::handleBareFuzzy` [3]
method, in order to provide custom handling of fuzzy queries. This is
clearly not "best practice", since to do so requires the use of
effectively (but not literally) injecting into a lucene package, which
is done through `XQueryParser` [4]. We want to eliminate the need for
`XQueryParser`, and hence the split package at run time.

Clearly, but likely not right, we could simply make `handleBareFuzzy` a
a protected method in Lucene's `QueryParser` or `QueryParserBase` - this
would satisfy the need of the Elasticsearch `QueryStringQueryParser`. If
not this, I don't see an alternative that could be coded in
Elasticsearch's `QueryStringQueryParser`, but maybe there is a different
API extension point that could be used, or a new one provided?

-Chris.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9319
[2]
https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/blob/master/server/src/main/java/org/elasticsearch/index/search/QueryStringQueryParser.java#L436