Hello Michael, I don't have personal experience with these models, but I
found this article insightful:
https://medium.com/@nils_reimers/openai-gpt-3-text-embeddings-really-a-new-state-of-the-art-in-dense-text-embeddings-6571fe3ec9d9.
It evaluates the OpenAI models against a variety of existing models on
tasks like sentence similarity and text retrieval. Although the other
models are cheaper and have fewer dimensions, the OpenAI ones perform
similarly or worse. This got me thinking that they might not be a good
cost/ effectiveness trade-off, especially the larger ones with 4096
or 12288 dimensions.

Julie