On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 7:59 PM Tomoko Uchida
<tomoko.uchida.1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I have a great deal to be concerned about "what active
> committers/contributors on Lucene actually think of it".

I have a couple thoughts.

1. What percentage of contributions are done via pull requests versus
via patch files these days? I'm always happy to commit a patch, but I
just don't see them. I'm still happy to commit a patch sent to the
mailing list. I feel that requiring JIRA is just unnecessarily
invoking another tool, another signup process, unnecessary hurdle. If
someone wants to send a patch to the mailing list, e.g. from the user
list as part of a discussion, that's fine.
2. Realistically, every committer actively merging/committing is using
github today already. This proposal doesn't make their life any more
difficult. They already have their github account setup. It makes life
easier for the *contributor*, which is what I want.
3. Around concerns of github "censorship" and certain countries, this
doesn't affect public repositories, just private ones. It has to do
with sanctions and money and so on. I see you committed Persian
Stemmer from an Iranian contributor just this morning. This is not a
problem.
4. Still along these lines, I tested this stuff from behind chinese
great firewall this morning, to have the full experience myself.
lucene.apache.org site is extremely fast, fastly CDN! github.com was a
bit slower to load, but not terrible. Loading up JIRA
(issues.apache.org) was very slow, required both getting and drinking
another coffee. It is some machine out there in hetzner germany, which
may be the issue. At the same time, I think it is unreasonable to ask
infra to "cluster" the JIRA for better access around the world,
because that's absurdly scary from a technical perspective. So I'm
happy if we can streamline the contribution process and make it easier
for folks outside of US and europe.