> then use LatLonDocValuesField

Right! Actually, LatLonDocValuesField is a good example of what we're
trying to do here, but specialized to the 2D, lat/long case. It stores
a doc value representation of a lat/long point that can be used for
"slow" queries—which complement the points-based queries—(e.g.,
LLDVF#newSlowBoxQuery, LLDVF#newSlowDistanceQuery, etc.). It could
also support faceting (although I don't think an implementation
exists?). And, it's multi-valued (which it achieves by packing a
lat/long tuple into a single long value and then encoding with
SORTED_NUMERIC. I think this is actually a great example we could
follow here, and supports the idea of _not_ adding a specific DV type,
but rather building on top of BDV.

In our use-case, we'd like to generalize to N-dims and not make
assumptions about lat/long data. Because of that, I don't see a way to
pack our dims into a single long value and build on SORTED_NUMERIC, so
I think we need to have a different encoding scheme on top of BDV.
Patrick, maybe this is what you were getting at in your last comment,
but please let me know if I'm mis-interpreting.

So, circling back to Marc's original question, I would suggest we
_not_ introduce a new doc values type (at least at this time), and
build in BDV.

Cheers,
-g