About the milestones being single-valued - we already have this
single-value notion in changes.txt, don't we? We add a note about the
issue to the "last" branch an issue was backported to. I agree
sometimes it could be more complicated (vide openjdk, where issues are
backported selectively to a few branches or fixed just on a historical
branch) but in Lucene things seem to follow a simpler, single-value
"milestone+later branches" model.

Dawid