Interesting coincidence, I'm currently working on a learned index on sorted
keys that can advantageously replace binary search.
It is very compact (additional space of 2% of the sorted key array, e.g.
40KB for 200MB of keys), and it is between 2x to 3x faster than binary
search for the rank/indexOf methods. By design there are nearly no
branches: the index of a key is approximated by using hierarchical linear
segment computation.
The PGM-Index paper is there: https://pgm.di.unipi.it/
And my implementation is here, just submitted in HPPC:
https://github.com/carrotsearch/hppc/pull/39

Bruno