> Wow, this looks very relevant to Lucene!  Could this index be used for
> faster implementation of our skip lists?  Even though they are static
> (computed once at segment-write time) vs dynamic/online that these learned
> indices are also able to handle, it looks like learned indices are still
> better than simple binary search, and quite a bit more compact, for static
> cases.

I do hope this index can be used for skip lists!

Our "best linear fit" approximation to compress monotonic longs
> (DirectMonoticWriter/Reader) looks like a simple example of these learned
> indices too.

Yes, this is the same linear approximation technique. With the concept of
an optimal (minimal) sequence of segments and a hierarchy of segment
layers, the paper gives a very compact yet precise approximation.