On 04/10/2011 12:44, Michael McCandless wrote:
Can we stop trying to document the file format?

Is it really needed?  It has been an error-proned process over time...

Can't the source code be the definitive resource one reads to
determine how a codec stores stuff....?

I'm more or less indifferent on maintaining detailed docs about formats for users' consumption. However, the absolute minimum IMHO is to document what possible files do indeed belong to an index, under what codec, and is the purpose of any particular file - in many situations this is crucial for troubleshooting, e.g. "your prx file is large, because...". The annotation-based method that I suggested would do fine, with a post-processing step to collect the documentation in one place.

Still, if a developer wants to study the source code then at least having a per-codec doc that explains the principles behind a particular format would be a big help. It's not always obvious from the code what the code is trying to do, and why, and as we move towards more and more esoteric codecs this will become even harder.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><