On 04/10/2011 16:37, Robert Muir wrote:
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Andrzej Bialecki<a...@getopt.org>  wrote:

So far the list of possible file names was relatively small and well-known,
e.g. people knew that a prx file contained postings, and its size would
indicate this or that. We are going to have dozens of codecs soon, and if I
come up with a codec that creates, say, abc and xyz files then without
knowing what they logically correspond to, it will be difficult to
troubleshoot. Similarly, if I discover files abc and xyz in my Directory I
should be able to tell whether they belong there.

I'm not sure about the latter part? this is not really possible unless
we make all of our codecs use "unique" extensions? Currently preflex
codec uses some of the same extensions as standard (e.g. .frq) for
example, but its definitely a different codec.

I think that's ok as long as I can say that a .frq file could plausibly end up in my Directory because it's documented to belong to a codec I was using.

(And also maybe we shouldn't insist on using the same extensions over and over again. I guess the original motivation for 3-letter extension names came from a certain stone age operating system, but I think we are free to use even 4+ letters now ;) )

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><