> Putting someone's jar inside a lib/ folder or war as a dependency is
> hardly 'publishing'.
>
> Its maven that requires 'publishing' and that causes all the fuss.
>
> I've tried to explain this over and over again, but maven supporters
> just get defensive and claim its not a maven problem: but it is!

> I've tried to explain this over and over again, but maven supporters
> just get defensive and claim its not a maven problem: but it is!

Rob, I'm sorry about my density, but it took quite a long time to for
focus on this specific contrast: whether or not publication is
required to get a patched binary into a binary release (as opposed to
making it the default thing-in-the-classpath of people who declare
some dependency).

Maven does not, in fact, require publication in this case. An
ephemeral jar can travel into a war or an assembly without ever being
published.

Maven is guilty as charged that the simple, obvious, way of dealing
with this requires publication. In the pressurized circumstances of
3.6.0, no one was going to get past that. Now, we can if you want.