How about doing the dirty checks on sub-directories only?  This way I can keep
the random .patch files & miscellany around in the root.

The IDE files are a special circumstance for my setup because I use symbolic
links to the IDE files in dev-tools so that I can easily see how my IDE setup
is different than the one in source control, and more easily commit desirable
changes.  I might stop doing this if this were the only thing in my way from
"ant precommit".

FWIW my solution has been to modify the build script to not do the dirty check
:-)

~ David