Hi David,

there are actually 2 reasons for this check:
- It prevents that you forget to add files before committing. We had this quite
often, causing unbuildable sources and Jenkins failures.
- Prevent test cases from leaving files around at wrong places. This was the
original idea behind the task, now obsoleted by the SecurityManager installed
by the test-framework. Lots of Solr tests did not set the working directory
correctly and started to write files into the src/ (!!!) folder. The check was
added, so Jenkins could complain about those problems. This is now solved in a
better way, but the check is still good for non-tests. The installed
SecurityManager with a very strict security profile prevents wrong-behaving
test - a test that writes files outside the build directory will fail with a
SecurityException (raised on fileopen with write/append).

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen