Per,

The standard way to develop in Lucene and Solr is against trunk, then backport
to the stable branch (currently branch_4x), and then to any applicable bugfix
branches if such branches are expected to be released.  (If a change is too
radical for the stable branch, it will of course not be backported.)

About maintaining documentation and your putting in effort there: I agree with
Mark Miller's characterization of people who become committers: first they act
like committers (e.g. taking responsibility for things they think are
important; working with other community members to reach agreement; sustained
substantial contributions; etc.), then PMC member(s) take note and make them a
committer.

Don't get hung up waiting for a committer to contribute, especially in
documentation - in fact people new to the process are uniquely positioned to
recognize gaps here - there is a lot you can do without commit rights.

Steve