CC me directly if you can, Mike -- I have been terribly busy and
wouldn't want to miss questions that relate directly to what I can
answer. :)

> [junit4:junit4]    >    1) Thread[id=102, name=Thread-44,
> state=TIMED_WAITING, group=TGRP-TestIndexWriterDelete]
> [junit4:junit4]    >         at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
> [junit4:junit4]    >         at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:196)
> [junit4:junit4]    >         at java.util.Timer$TimerImpl.run(Timer.java:247)

The question is what starts these Timer threads? I mean: we can
exclude such threads but I'd do some digging first to see if it's not
an error. The thread's name looks suspiciously un-VM-like to me (it's
too generic).

> It looks like this is a JVM thread ... is there an "exceptions list"
> somewhere to ignore this thread?  Or some other solution?

There are several ways to ignore threads. You can annotate a method
(or class) so that it ignores thread-checking entirely, you can add
the known offenders to ignored filters. Take a look at
SolrIgnoredThreadsFilter for real-life examples; Lucene uses
QuickPatchThreadsFilter (it's currently empty).

If you can name the J9 version and test/seed that causes this I'll
take a look at the root of the problem first.

> Second, strangely, I see the "who tests the tester tests" hit real failures,
> eg:
>
> [junit4:junit4] FAILURE 0.01s J2 |
> TestReproduceMessage.testFailureBeforeClass <<<

This looks like a different initialization order on J9; again -- can
you file a Jira issue and provide J9 version/ environment? I'll dig.
Thanks!

Dawid