On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Dawid Weiss
<dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:

> CC me directly if you can, Mike -- I have been terribly busy and
> wouldn't want to miss questions that relate directly to what I can
> answer. :)

OK will do!

>> [junit4:junit4]    >    1) Thread[id=102, name=Thread-44,
>> state=TIMED_WAITING, group=TGRP-TestIndexWriterDelete]
>> [junit4:junit4]    >         at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
>> [junit4:junit4]    >         at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:196)
>> [junit4:junit4]    >         at java.util.Timer$TimerImpl.run(Timer.java:247)
>
> The question is what starts these Timer threads? I mean: we can
> exclude such threads but I'd do some digging first to see if it's not
> an error. The thread's name looks suspiciously un-VM-like to me (it's
> too generic).

I'll open an issue and try to do some digging ...

>> It looks like this is a JVM thread ... is there an "exceptions list"
>> somewhere to ignore this thread?  Or some other solution?
>
> There are several ways to ignore threads. You can annotate a method
> (or class) so that it ignores thread-checking entirely, you can add
> the known offenders to ignored filters. Take a look at
> SolrIgnoredThreadsFilter for real-life examples; Lucene uses
> QuickPatchThreadsFilter (it's currently empty).
>
> If you can name the J9 version and test/seed that causes this I'll
> take a look at the root of the problem first.

I'm using this J9 version, on Linux:

java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build
pxa6460sr9fp2ifix-20111111_05(SR9
FP2+IV03622+IV02378+IZ99243+IZ97310+IV00707))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Linux amd64-64
jvmxa6460sr9-20111111_94827 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
J9VM - 20111111_094827
JIT  - r9_20101028_17488ifx45
GC   - 20101027_AA)
JCL  - 20110727_04

>> Second, strangely, I see the "who tests the tester tests" hit real failures,
>> eg:
>>
>> [junit4:junit4] FAILURE 0.01s J2 |
>> TestReproduceMessage.testFailureBeforeClass <<<
>
> This looks like a different initialization order on J9; again -- can
> you file a Jira issue and provide J9 version/ environment? I'll dig.
> Thanks!

OK, will do.  Thanks!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com